So Ceraphus and I were racing to 90 together. We made it to 90, but not the Realm First DK and Hunter as we’d have hoped. We were the first two guild members to hit 90 though, so there’s that small feat. Now I must say there were some serious positives about grouping with a partner, but some downsides as well.
- As a Hunter/DK combo we could swap between the tank and dps roles fairly seamlessly. Both of us were equally capable of holding aggro on a mob and allowing the other to blow it up based solely on the situation. Additionally since we do not share the same stat priority we never competed on the gear drops we came across.
- Generally we ran with Free for all loot and simply grabbed what we found and sorted stuff out as we went. I used FETCH to its fullest, though I did find when we had wrecked large packs of mobs, it was easier to simply AOE loot one mob as they were all dead at my feet regardless.
- Good fun!! We were both exhausted from playing non stop, but we both kept in good spirits. Folks kept jumping into Mumble randomly and some commented the next day that we were a bit testy. Honestly, it was more us busting each others chops for the laugh more than actually being angry or aggravated with one another (there were a couple things though, nothing deal breaking see below).
- So much lethal DPS! Our ability to pull mass amounts of mobs was used to its best potential. His Deathgrip and my long range multishot were excellent at gathering large packs. Our mass aoe (a lot of it from my combo of Explosive trap, Snake trap, and multishot) was put to good use. Thank you Blizz for removing minimum range!!!
Ok, the bad…
- Nesingwary quests TOTALLY slowed us down. That entire quest line is so dependent on random spawning/drops it took far too long to complete with far too little reward.
- Copter quest at the beginning….ugh.utterly.painful.when.done.en.masse.
- Gathering!!! Sorry Cera, but continual side trips to gather minerals as a miner were occasionally annoying for the non-gathering partner. This said I know his complaint would be…
- Pet Taming!!! Yes, I kept wanting to stop and tame various beasts that I wanted to add to my stables. This annoyed my non Hunter partner. I tamed one new cat model, and then held off figuring I can do that solo.
So in the end, we played straight for about 24 hours. We got close to 90 with no real stopage….I was 1 bar from 89 when I logged off around midnight. He had hit 90 and was a few bars in when he logged shortly after me. Next morning we both casually continued our climb to 90. He hit first around mid afternoon, I hit it early evening. Definitely fun. I would do it again in a heart beat.
Next up for me is leveling my Warrior up at least a level or 2. I got him to 86 rather quickly, but he needs more work. My hunter is a JC/LW, my warrior Talthius is my gatherer. He has mining/skinning and I need to simply farm mats for Q to level his primary professions up. Scenarios and Heroics are up next for my Hunter as I am at the iLevel minimum for Heroics. I’ll post again at the end of this week on my thoughts of the MoP content to date.
So there’s this new Expansion launching tonight…Mists of Pandaria. You may have heard of it. Well, my buddy and guild-mate Ceraphus and I will be racing to 90 together. An absolute MARATHON of epic proportions fueled by Mio, Pumpkin Spice Coffee, Pizza Rolls, trail mix, and our geek-drenaline! Yes we got our wives’ permission for this. Yes we have a plan. Yes we will try to be Dalaran Realm first Death Knight and Hunter. Yes we are complete fools.
We have other guild members equally stoked to begin playing at 3 am EST. I don’t think anyone else has the same commitment to “Play until I hit 90″ that we do, but their company whilst on our adventure into Panda-land will be most welcome. As always when attempting such marathon playing times, some simple rules should be followed.
- At least once per hour, do ANYTHING other than sit. Stand, jumping jacks, push ups, even just kneeling while playing is better than sitting non stop.
- Use the bathroom!!! Do not hold it until you are ready to explode. Stop put yourself on follow. Then hit the powder room! It won’t take long and your innards will thank you for it.
- Drink water! Many use energy drinks or soda (not me actually), or coffee, perhaps even alcohol based beverages of some kind…WATER is what you need.
- If you begin feeling shoulder or neck pain, stretch. Don’t wait, don’t just take some Tylenol and hope it disappears….take a moment to stretch.
- If you become so exhausted as to be drooling on your keyboard…take a break. Take a nap. I know it seemingly defeats your overall purpose, but if you are partnering with someone, you will be of no help to them if you are drooling on the keyboard passed out. Better to quickly catch 30-60 min of sleep and get a little recharge.
- Speaking of sleep…sleep BEFORE HAND. Yes, go to bed very early and wake up to start leveling. Get that cat nap in before if you can!
- Use all you little trinkets to your advantage. Empty bags and logs are a no-brainer, but be sure you have your various hearthing/porting goodies. A tabard, ring, cloak, stone, etc. Any and all ways to quickly get back to places. Have your Stormwind cloak that you can use every 60 min? Awesome…set your stone to somewhere in Pandaria and then you can quickly port around without travel time. Mobile banking, Argent Crusadeling, Travelling Tundra Mammoth….all items that can help you speed up your journey to 90.
Remember while some folks will argue against doing this and say you should take your time and enjoy the content, I say I can enjoy it either way. Most folks will take their time on the first toon, but then power level and rush around with subsequent trips on alts through the 85-90 content. Rushing through it now, and then taking my fine time with my alts (advantage of a second level 85 hunter :)) does not detract from my enjoyment of new content to see. Make a choice and be confident that you will get the most out of the game either way.
So in the end, we are prepared. Will we become realm firsts? Who knows, we’ll give it a good try though! Look for us both on Twitter (@Ceraphus and @Quoriwow) to exclaim our victory or heart crushing defeat. See you all in Pandaria!