Blizzcon 2014, the announcement everyone was waiting for.
With baited breath so many fans of Blizzard watched the calendar flip by, day after day, week after week, month after month. No announcement. Nothing. Silence. Then a pop, someone saw an update on the Blizzcon site regarding the terms of service date being changed from 2013 to 2014…could this be it. Hearthstone goes live, Diablo RoS goes live, Heroes of the Storm alpha goes live…still nothing. Most have given up hope. Some were determined to not speak on Twitter again until Blizzcon was announced (See: @Zerenahoofs).
LO AND BEHOLD! Blizzard Entertainment announced today, Blizzcon 2014. The full announcement can be found here. Major points:
- Tickets on sale May 7 and 10 via Evenbrite
- Cost: $199 per Blizzcon ticketand $750 for Benefit Dinner ticket (includes 1 Blizzcon pass)
- Hands-on play time with the latest versions of Blizzard Entertainment games
- Global finals for Blizzard eSports, including the StarCraft®II World Championship Series Global Finals
- In-depth discussion panels with Blizzard game developers and artists
- Competitive and casual tournaments for players to showcase their talents
- Community contests with great prizes
- Commemorative merchandise based on Blizzard Entertainment’s game universes
- More activities and attractions to be announced
Yes, the cost per event ticket went up by $25 and the Benefit Dinner ticket went up by $250. That’s a serious mark up on that, and we could speculate plenty about why – honestly I won’t though, not here anyway. The $25 main ticket jump isn’t that bad, year over year its a minor increase.
I’m less than please with Eventbrite doing the ticketing here. They’ve had past issues, not that it should scar them forever; but Blizzard has proven capable of doing it themselves. Why change that?
I suspect that Warlords of Draenor will have dropped by then. So we’ll have that, Diablo, and Hearthstone in full swing. I presume the next chapter in SC2 the Protoss expansion will be on tap to announce. Heroes of the Storm I think will be close to release if not already released, so there will be that to discuss.
Could this be the Titan/Next gen Blizzcon we’ve all wondered about for years now? Possibly. There will be plenty of scuttle butt and rumors between now and November. Biggest hurdle…getting tickets. Its always the hardest part getting in queue, availability of funds, etc etc.
See you all in Anaheim…I hope!